Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Math Workshop and My First Linky Party!!

I have to admit, I am a little nervous about hosting a linky party...1) because I am not great at the technology aspect and could possibly mess it up completely and 2) because what if no one wants to link up? :) 

After reading Number Sense Routines, I couldn't help but wonder how everyone out there teaches math. I think I have 60, maybe 70 minutes at best to teach math daily, and am wondering how people fit it all in! It seems like a lot of people are blogging about math lately and I'm curious to see how you all are applying what they are learning!

Last year I tried to combine the workshop model with Everyday Math. It was a tight squeeze, but I liked it much better than just whole class math with Everyday Math everyday. My math block looked like this:

15 min. - warm-up/ mini-lesson/ routine (rekenrek, count around the circle, problem solving, introduce a new work station, etc.)

20 min. - math work station and I would meet with my tier 3 group
I use Debbie Diller's book a lot to determine my work stations and manage them. I also pull from Everyday Math and TpT to find games and activities for the work stations.

This is the only picture I have to show how I organize the work stations. The bins on the bottom shelf (with the pink and green labels) are my work stations. I have 6 stations - with 2 different versions of each to make 12 total stations. I also use xtramath.org for a computer station and myself as another station. 
20 min. - Whole group Everyday Math lesson - I usually just do Part 1 of the lesson and then give a 7-10 minutes for independent practice where I try to get around to my tier 2 kids to make sure they are keeping up.

My goal is to use Everyday Math more as a resource than as a day-to-day guide. Does anyone else do that?

I'd love to hear how you all organize your math blocks!! Please link up to a previous post or a new post having to do with your math block - and if you want, use the picture above to link back here. Thanks so much!!



7 comments:

Cassandra said...

I am not going to link up, because to be honest, I hate the way I've been doing math so far. We use Everyday math and only have 45 min!!!! So talk about a tight squeeze. I will definitely be back to see how other teachers run math time. I just don't know if the workshop model is possible with only 45 min.

I'm a new follower by the way, glad to have found you
Adventures in Room 5

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read everyone's link ups! I will definitely be back to link up with how I was teaching math and how it is going to look so far next year with all the learning I've been doing this summer!

Brittany
Sweet Seconds

Learning in Wonderland said...

I just linked up. I also use my program as a guide more than something I must follow as is. Looking forward to getting some tips! Thanks for this linky party!

Amanda said...

Oooooh ooooh! I LOVE math workshop! :) Super excited that you had a link up for this! I do not use Everyday Math, but I do not follow my basal math program. I use it as a resource like you mentioned, and try to make my own activities that follow the way I like to teach. It's time consuming, but has definitely been worth it this year!

Amanda
Reaching for the TOP

Mrs. Kenyon said...

I will be using Everyday Math next year, but I want to run a workshop too. I'm curious to see what everyone has to say.
Amy
Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

Chuyên trang đi Mỹ said...

Vé máy bay United Airlines đi Washington giá rẻ
Hành trình du lịch và khám phá Quận Cam Mỹ
Vé máy bay đi Mỹ Asiana Airlines
Yoga ở Mỹ, du lịch khám phá có một không hai
Huntington Beach California bãi biển xinh đẹp mộng mơ
VÉ MÁY BAY ĐI LAS VEGAS GIÁ RẺ
Tin tức du lịch Mỹ
Trải nghiệm Bờ Tây USA Hoa Kỳ và khám phá khu dân cư LGBT
Vườn quốc gia Alaska Hoa Kỳ
Vé máy bay đi Mỹ tháng nào rẻ nhất United

BETFLIXPG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment