Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Day in the Life


It's been so fun to read about everyone's daily schedules! So I thought I would link up with Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher to tell you what my typical day looks like :)

6:00 - Alarm goes off! I am not pleased how dark it is outside (you'd think I'd be used to it by now), but reluctantly get out of bed and head to the shower.

6:15ish: Get dressed...and everything else

6:40ish- Out the door and in my car.

7:00ish- Daily stop at Starbucks - I love my coffee!

7:15-7:30- Arrive at school, unlock my door, and take out my list of things to do

7:30 - 8:50 - make copies, get guided reading plans organized, change math work stations cards, get any manipulatives out and organized for math/ science, find read alouds/ prepare materials for mini-lessons, sharpen pencils, re-tape things to the walls that fell (does anyone else have walls that nothing sticks to??)...

8:55- bell rings, pick up kids from cafeteria

9:00-9:15 - kids eat breakfast in the classroom, turn in homework, choose new take home book, work on the math message, make their daily 5 choices, put backpacks and coats away...while I take attendance, check-in homework, do the breakfast and lunch count, and solve any mini-crises that come up before 9:15 :)

9:20: Phonics Dance chant

9:25 - 9:40 - First mini-lesson (usually comprehension)
9:40-10:00- First Round of Daily 5/ Guided Reading Group
10:00-10:10 - Second Mini-lesson (rotates between vocab, word wall, decoding/ accuracy strategy, fluency strategy, and learning new routines/ activities to be placed at a D5 station 
10:10-10:30 - Second Round of Daily 5/ Guided Reading Group
10:30-10:40 - 3rd mini-lesson (usually phonics dance)
10:40-11:00 - Third Round of Daily 5/ Guided Reading Group

11:00 - Lunch!

11:20 - Science

11:45 (or on Wed. 12:20)- Math 

12:43 - Specials

1:21: Word Study

1:45 - Writer's Workshop

2:30 - Get ready to go home

2:45 - Dismissal

Wow, I get tired just thinking about it! 

2:45-3:00 - Sit/ Breathe :)

3:00- 4:00 (sometimes later) - get ready for the next day!

So thankful for MLK day tomorrow! Enjoy the 3 day weekend!!!

7 comments:

Jill said...

Your day seems so short! We get out the same as you but we start an hour earlier. But you get so much done in your day... I think I need to manage my time better!

Marvelous Multiagers!

Unknown said...

I love the "sit and breathe"!! That's what I have to do, too, at the end of most days!!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

Loved reading about your day. I have to have my coffee first thing every morning too but I have started to make my own mistos at home to save time/money. Looking forward to following your blog!
Lisa
Stories From Second

Holly said...

Crazy how busy we are, isn't it? How do we find the time/energy to blog!?!?!?

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Ginger Snaps said...

I got tired after just reading my day!! LOL

gingersnapstreatsforteachers.blogspot.com

Katie @ Miss Klohn's Classroom said...

Your kiddos have a pretty short day at school! Mine are there from 7:50-3:35!!! I wish that I had more time in the morning to get things done before the kiddos got there. I usually get there at about 7:15 each morning, but the time always goes by so quickly!

Thanks for linking up!
Miss Klohn
Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

Heather's Heart said...

Hi Abby! I just became your newest follower and loved readng about your day! I am loving reading about how different everyone's start time, recess, lunch, PE/Music, and end time are!

I would love for you to come follow me! I have TONS of *freebies* that you might be able to use with your kiddos!

Enjoy your "extra" day off!

Heather
Heather's Heart

Post a Comment