Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet the Teacher Monday

Check out Blog Hoppin' to join the fun!

Tell me a little something about you:


I am a Chicago girl!  Grew up in a suburb, went to Northwestern University (for both undergrad and grad school...Go CATS), and live and teach in the city now. I am a huge Bears, Cubs, and Hawks fan and so excited for football season. I have two sisters who are my best friends - I am the oldest. The youngest one moved in with me this summer, which is so fun, and the middle sister is in DC working for the White House. We are scheming for a way to get her back to Chicago!
I love my job, which is such a blessing because I am realizing so many people don't feel that way about their job. Being the nerd that I am, I love being in school. I am working on my second masters (first one in Elementary Ed and the second one in reading), and am trying to decide if I should start my PhD in reading next fall. I love teaching little ones, but I think someday (not so soon) I will want to teach teachers. We'll see!


How long have you been teaching?


This will be my 5th year teaching. I have taught 2 years in first grade and this will be my third year in second grade. I loved first grade, but I really, really love 2nd. I've been at the same school in Chicago the whole time :) The best year so far was my first year in 2nd grade when I looped up with my first graders. If I could loop every year I think I would - having kids for 2 years was such a great experience!


You might not know:


Something you might not know about me (or if you follow my blog maybe you've figured this out) is that I don't really like arts and crafts. I love being creative with lessons, but I don't really get into and nor do I know how to create cute graphics and worksheets and whatnot. I feel like such a schmuck next to everyone in the blog world because you're all so amazing in that way!!!

Also...
I played lacrosse at Northwestern and won a national championship my senior year...one of the best moments of my life I think :)


What are you looking most forward to this school year?


Other than the obvious things like watching my students grow and trying new things like Phonics Dance and Math Workshop, I am really looking forward to finishing my masters in reading and finding out if I passed National Boards.


What do you need to improve?


 I am looking forward to improving my math instruction through implementing math workshop (a la Debbie Diller). I am excited to be able to meet with small groups consistently during math and really meet the needs of all of my students. I am hoping I will be able to find enough time in the day to make it work!


What teaching supplies can you not live without?


Everything Post-It!! I love all shapes, sizes, and colors! I have been in my room this week setting up and came across three plastic bins full of post-its...I LOVE them!


Apparently I can't get enough of clear plastic bins either - they are officially taking over my classroom :)

I also really love books. I use them to teach everything!


Blog Hoppin
Hop on over and link up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment