Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween!


We had so much fun yesterday...I just wish I took more pictures! We scrapped all of our normal routines and did Halloween activities all day! First we read Little Witch Learns to Read - such a cute book. We had a nice discussion about what strategies we would have taught Little Witch if she was in our classroom and then actually made Little Witch holding our favorite reading strategies. Here are some examples (although I should have taken pics before I hung them up): 





After that (and that took a loooooong time!) we listen to a scary story (that had some scary monster mask illustrations), talked about adjectives, and then created our own monsters and wrote about them using as many adjectives as we could - they turned out cute - although you'll have to take my word for it since I didn't take pics of these! 
The book comes with a CD and the storyteller is awesome! This book would also be great for teaching predictions and/or mental images!!

After lunch we read my absolute favorite Halloween story, There was an Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything and wrote our own versions of the story using onomatopoeia words! Some kids are so creative!



We didn't have time to do the fun candy graphing activity I had planned - oh well - another day! We finished off the day with a costume parade and a party (and a stomach ache :) )!

Here's me with my student teacher (we were Fancy Nancy) and a couple of our friends:

Hope you all had a fabulous Halloween!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment